Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thing #12 A Few Comments about Comments

This one has taken me some time, but it's been worth it. I looked at Cool Cat (as a teacher, where does she find the time?) and the 10 Commandments. Cool Cat talks about using comments as a communication tool. I had never thought of it that way. Teaching good commenting is teaching effective communications. Many of our students need to learn to communicate more effectively using different mediums. Most of them can shortcut text messages, but can't write a complete sentence using proper grammar and punctuation. Another comment she made was comments being a source for renewal of purpose. Several comments I read from teachers were exactly how I feel. The summer's too short, but I can't wait for school to start to try out all the new things I have found this summer. The 10 commandments suggests using emoticons as well as using comments to actually contribute and add ideas rather just saying 'I agree'. The 10 commandments also suggests going back to look at the comments made after your comment - this could get a meaningful dialog started.

I made a comment on Anne McCafferey's blog telling her how much I have enjoyed her novels through the years and that every year I reread every one of her books. She commented back and I was thrilled!

I have added comments to several blogs of fellow participants. I read most of the blogs and my goal is to send everybody a comment about something.

2 comments:

VWB said...

you describe one of my favorite results about blogging and 2.0 communicaton...getting a comment from someone you admire for whatever reason is a thrill...just like you said...I see it similar to opening your regular mailbox and finding first-class personal mail from someone special rather than just the ol' bills and circulars.

how fun for you to get it from a favorite author!

so glad you are "back"...been missing your thoughts. figured you went away on a different kind of adventure for awhile! :-)

bookeatersclub said...

I also have had fun commenting to blogs that I would have never done before going through the 23 "Things." Connecting with people beyond our reach is wonderful!