Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thing #23 - Reflections

1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

I have quite a few favorites and discoveries for different reasons. The two that were the most fun were creating my avatar and starting a family cookbook using Lulu (#19) and starting to write a science fiction novel. The one that has been the most useful to me personally has been LibraryThing to catalog my books. The one that I think will be the most useful to me as a teacher will be my searchroll in Rollyo. I plan to add sites throughout the year and then take out the ones I don’t use that often.

2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

I used to teach Computer Science as well as math and for a few years I spent so much time on the computer doing things I had to do that I didn’t think of the computer in terms of relaxation and entertainment. The 23 Things has rekindled my enthusiasm for the computer again. After I assimilate all of these things, I am going to start exploring other aspects of the web. Having stepped out of my comfort zone, I don’t intend to lose what I have learned and plan to go on from here.

3. What were any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

The biggest surprise is that I have enjoyed all these hours so much, and don’t feel that a single minute has been wasted. There are some things I will use more than others, of course, but the joy of learning something I would never have done on my own has been worth the journey. I feel that I have taken a world tour, going places I never thought to visit and meeting people that I never would have known. Anne McCafferey actually commenting on my comment was a thrill. Who knew I would be writing a cookbook AND a novel?

4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?

I can’t think of anything that would improve the program. There were a few places that I got confused – Sandbox and Audacity – but I think I just missed something the first time around in the instructions.

5. If we offered another discovery program in the future, would you choose to participate?

Sign me up!

6. How would you describe the experience in ONE WORD or ONE SENTENCE?

Finally, a professional growth that is not only educational but enjoyable – well worth the effort!

Comments on other Players’ blogs:

I made lots of comments on lots of blogs. I read almost every blog. The vast majority seemed to think this experience has been totally worth it. I agree.

4 comments:

VWB said...

So glad you had such a successful experience and I surely wish we could bottle your enthusiasm and spread it around when needed. You will be a wonderful advocate for the value of 2.0 learning.

P.S. the fact that a math teacher did the Things in RANDOM order is pretty close to the top of my unexpected outcomes from this program! :-)

LauraAnn said...

Glad to see that you have finished your "things": I wonder if you have plans to continue on with your blog? Also, are you composing your novel online? At this point, I don't think I could write anything of length using paper and pen (the literati's of the world are spinning in their collective graves...) Anne McCaffrey? How cool is that?

bookeatersclub said...

Congratulations on finishing your 23 "Things" journey. It was certainly fun reading your blog from a math teacher's perspective. Hopefully others in your department will catch the train and get on board!

Enjoy the rest of your summer...

Grendel said...

Hurray for you! Congratulations on finishing!