Monday, June 9, 2008

Thing #11 Here a book, there a book, everywhere a book-book

I added my Harry Potter and Anne McCaffrey (arguably one of the premier science fiction writers ever, in my opinion)books to LibraryThing. I didn't know how many closets and cubbyholes in my house contained books. I stopped counting around 500. I have books that my mother and her sisters read when they were growing up (1930's and 1940's), a collection of old school books including some original McGuffy's Readers circa 1900, and scads of books I read to my niece and now read to my grandkids. I probably won't post in LibraryThing I learned more history from romance novels than I ever did in a classroom.

When I was adding my books I also found out I had missed some Anne McCaffrey published in the last year or so - I definitely need to get to the library and book store more often. I am on my way to Barnes and Noble to get them as soon as I post this!

I'm not sure how I could use this in the classroom, but I will enjoy sharing thoughts with other bibliophiles on my favorite authors. I am certified to teach math and English: most of the sites I have looked at have tickled the math side, this will nourish the creative side.

3 comments:

Grendel said...

I know, I know! I have books under the beds, books in the closets, books in chairs, on tables, on the floor.... My great aunt had books that we all used to read when we went to her house, and now that she is gone, we read them at my mother's ;house! Great blog!!

LKP said...

I agree about Ann McCaffery! And I stopped counting and putting in books with Library Thing when my fingers started to go numb!!!

bookeatersclub said...

And don't forget your school library, a great source for books from libraries thoughout the district and so much cheaper than B&N!

Glad to see that this "Thing" has rekindled an interest in wonderful books!